Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Road Trips

I just recently read my friend Collin Barnes' blog, (click on the link above) about road trips. I found it completely amusing and it got me thinking 'bout all the road trips I've been on in college. Man, oh man. I've done it all. Road trips by myself, road trips with girls, road trips with boys and girls, road trips with just boys, and a big backpacking trip with my best friend Kimbo. Anyone that knows me, knows how much I like to travel, or even if you don't know me, you would gather from previous posts that there is something intriguing about the traveling adventure that makes me tick. There is just something so exposing and bond forming.

I personally have never experienced traveling with someone I was in a relationship with. I would imagine it would be a turning point though. You are very vulnerable in these types of situations. You have to choose music together, hopefully make interesting conversation, try not to make interesting smells, and of course make sure you don’t say something embarrassing while you’re asleep.

Not only is this person you are traveling with going to learn a lot about you, you are going to learn a lot about them, and more importantly you are going to learn a lot about yourself. You are constantly focused on your next move, “is what I am going to say going to sound stupid”, “do I drive like a maniac?” You are pretty much going to evaluate your whole existence. It’s either like a near death experience or a really long date.

I personally can't wait to be put in this situation. However, I would suggest, Collin, or anyone looking to take a road trip with a newly defined significant other, not traveling long distances with someone unless you are engaged to be married to them, you are on your way to being engaged, or you are already married. Other wise it could just be really awkward, or you are going to get to intimate to quickly. But if that’s what you are looking for, hey go for it. Just make sure they feel the same way. I’m guessing they won’t want to feel awkward.

I imagine my first "couple" road trip will be my honeymoon, or to meet the future inlaws.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Try an overseas mission trip - not only are you traveling, but it's to a different culture/language & you would be ministering with the fellow travellers too.

Della said...

Lisa-
I was kidding about the
"test drive" comment on Collin's blog. I wasn't however joking about it being risky to take a vacation with someone you just started a dating relationship with. Just like moving in together, I think couples have a tendency to "play house" in situations like these. Much like when dating couples make dinner for each other, or babysit together. I wouldn't recommend any of these activities for couples just starting out. However, if there is talk of marriage, under the close watch of more mature couples, these things could be great ways to practice interacting. I hope this clears things up from my end.

Oh, and you are right, they don't have to be "life-changing" just ask Chuck and Keely. Ski trip baby!!!!

Would love to talk about it more...let me know what you think.

Della said...

Andy-

I would imagine that would speed things up quite a bit. In fact I had a friend get married last month that met her husband on a mission trip to Russia. In my opinion, I think a mission trip wouldn't be the worst way to meet someone. You would surely have a lot of the same values.

Anonymous said...

I can attest to the close connections that can be made while on mission trips...I was on two 8 hour flights and then two months with 5 guys for the Kenya trip this summer... a guy and girl from the team are now dating and a different guy on the team wanted me to move to where his family is (and where he is going to school) and live with his family while he goes to med school... I think guys into missions tend to be much more aggressive and fast-paced when it comes to relationships... interesting.

Anonymous said...

You mean that asking you to move in with his family while he's going to school (before you're even dating) might seem a little too aggressive? *taking notes*

Seriously though, I've known some guys in seminary - planning to be missionaries, who go wife-hunting (not many available women once they leave). Sometimes a wife can then become simply one step toward achieving the 'mission.'

Anonymous said...

My sister-in-law (back when she was just my brother's girlfriend) had serious runs when in Africa with my brother. The only place she could go was a wide open field and he had to stand there, in front of her but facing away, to (hopefully) block people from seeing her. How's that for bonding while traveling? Also, when Russ and I were in Australia, I puked on him. Maybe there's something to be said for an explosive stomach experience in a foreign land. Worked for Susie and me!

-Katherine