Friday, September 30, 2005

Special Blessings

A while ago, a friend was telling me about how God had blessed him. At first I thought it sounded silly, but now I totally understand. His story was that one evening, while we were at RUF, something struck him and he had a sudden urge to call one of his buddies. When he did, his friend reminded him that their fantasy football draft was going on right then. This gave him just enough time to call his roommate, inform him of how to pick, and then show up later for the last couple of rounds. How was this a blessing from God? Well, he explained that he would have been a little bummed during the rest of the season if he hadn't been part of this fun event with his friends, but God knew how much he would enjoy himself if he had the chance, so he was blessed by remembering just at the right time. Silly? I really don't think so. I think that happens more than we think.

For example, my freshman year (five years ago) most of my friends I made were cyclists. I went to Lindsey Wilson College, which if you were to google, you would find that it is one of the top cycling schools in the country. That's not bragging, that's just a little perspective of what was valued there, and how many cyclists there actually were. So anyway, most of my friends rode, and that is how I came to love the sport of cycling and it's equipment. I remember working my first race, spending hours listening to stories about crashes, tough rides, road rash, shammy butter, and the like. It didn't take long for my interest to turn to how I was going to start riding when I got home.

Upon my return to Oklahoma, on September 11, 2001, I purchased my first mountain bike. A Gary Fisher Kaitai. It was/is sweet. I never did/do ride as much as I had planned, but I love it none-the-less. There are some differences though. There really wasn't anyone here that shared in my same passion. No one to talk about rides with, change tires with, look at bike mags with, watch stupid race tapes with. Until recently. Lately bike enthusiasts have been coming out of the woodwork. Mostly guys, but more and more girls are getting interested as well. Now, there isn't a social gathering that I go to where bikes are not discussed. And you know what? That just makes me smile. God has blessed me. With a silly little pleasure. I rode my new cruiser today, and was just blessed by how it made me feel. Like a child mostly. Coaster brakes. Cruisin'. Hangin' out with friends. Enjoying the weather. Even getting to see a friend enjoy his new cruiser. Hopefully he enjoyed it as much as I did, because watching him just made me smile. Thank you God for the little things.

Ride more.

9 comments:

keely said...

I like the bell and the basket. You should get some streamers to hang off the handlebars and a dog to put in the basket.

stephanie said...

sometimes i miss our lwc times...sometimes :)

keely said...

Maybe you could name the dog Harlow.

Anonymous said...

only if I can take illegal steroids like Lance

Della said...

For those of you OU friends out there, Stephanie lived next to me in the dorms at Lindsey Wilson College. We had some good times. Remember when I had to go to the dean's office because I was accused of setting off the fire alarm? They almost had me arrested. Parrott Hall biotches!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Della. I was looking for skydiving supplies related information and came across your blog. Very good reading! I have a skydiving supplies site. You'll find info on skydiving gear, equipment, drop zones, powered parachutes, tandem sky diving, base jumping and more! Check it out when you can :)

Anonymous said...

Hi there Della, I was just browsing, looking for skydiving supplies related information and found your blog. Very Nice! I have a skydiving supplies site. You'll find info on skydiving gear, equipment, drop zones, powered parachutes, tandem sky diving, base jumping and more! Please visit, check it out and enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Hi Della. I was looking for skydiving supplies related information and came across your blog. Very good reading! I have a skydiving supplies site. You'll find info on skydiving gear, equipment, drop zones, powered parachutes, tandem sky diving, base jumping and more! Check it out when you can :)
If you have a site similar to mine and would like to exchange links, please contact me through my website.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading some of your posts Della. I was looking for skydiving gear related information and found your blog. I have a skydiving gear site. You'll find info on skydiving gear, equipment, drop zones, powered parachutes, tandem sky diving, base jumping and more! Come and check it out if you get time :-)
If you have a site similar to mine and would like to exchange links, please contact me through my website.