Tuesday, November 01, 2005

24 years and 9 months ago.

That's were it all started folks. My guess is some crazy couple of kids got together on Valentine's day, and in the heat of the moment, I was made. Romantic huh? Well, you have to start somewhere.

I'm turning 24 this year, actually a few weeks from now. Naturally I'm doing some reflection on my life...up to this point. Goodness, I've been through a lot. We've been through alot. November is going to be dedicated to memories. Starting today with early childhood.

I grew up knowing I was adopted. Just something my parents told me, somewhat like "You're Jewish" or "You're American". You always have known, and maybe at some point you ask what that means. "Mom, what does adopted mean?" I asked around age four. "Well, it means the you didn't come from Mommy's stomach but you were made for us by God, to be a part of our family." Easy enough. That was all I needed to know.

So I lived with Mom, Dad, Carter, Amy, Chauser, and Sparky on OJ Talley Circle. Man, oh man did we love that house. It's located in the Trails backing up to highway 9. Perfect little circle drive where I could lurn to ride my tricycle. (Did you know I didn't learn to ride a real bike until I was 9!!?!?!) My best friend Lauren Burton lived just around the corner. We used to meet in the middle, the corner of our two streets, where both of our mothers could watch us the whole time. We got in a lot of trouble together. She is still one of my nearest and dearest friends.

I have lots of memories of that house. We only lived there until I was 4 or 5. I remember sitting in the sunroom watching the original Superman. I remember the metal feed bucket that I used as a swimming pool. I remember watching Carter, Amy and Dad put my swing-set together. I remember birthday parties with Cabbage Patch themes and Carter as the magician. I remember turning the page to the magical noise of the read-along tape. I remember thinking that people on the TV could see me and not wanting to change clothes infront of them. I remember leaving the house while it was still dark to head to Michigan for the entire summer.

Wow, how is it possible to remember so much of a time so long ago? I love it. I wonder if the people living there now would ever let me come walk through. Wouldn't that be a trip?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

it wasn't Valentine's Day, it was March 4, 1981, my Jr year at Henryetta High School, I was 17. It was on the 2 hour lunch break of the V.I.C.A. officers meeting/compitition in Olkmulgee, OK. I had stolen Chris's(a cute kid I had had a crush on since our Freshmen year)hat and worn it most of the morning. When we were dismissed for lunch he asked me if I wanted to go riding around, & of course I said yes. We went out on this dirt rode (it had obviously been raining being Spring) to make out, and in the heat of the moment, well, you know. It came time to get back and we were stuck in the mud. A really nice guy in a truck pulled us out, we said thank you and he grinned and said, "no problem, I've been stuck in the mud myself." We were both really embarrassed, but really glad we weren't going to be late getting back from lunch. Here's the conversation on the drive back:
Chris;I hope you don't get pregnant
me; why?
C; 'cause your dad will kill me
me; no, he'll kill me 'cause I should know better.....if I do, will you marry me?........
.......silence...........(so I say it again, maybe he didn't hear me) if I do, will you marry me?.............more silence.....

I'd be glad to continue if you'd like to know more.
my email is: rhbkrbrtsn@yahoo.com
or @ myspace: truehopey@yahoo.com

Sincerely with love, Hope Ann (Polson) Robertson