Thursday, November 03, 2005

Bus Stop

Back to childhood.

After moving from OJ Talley, we moved to a rent house on Merkle. We only lived there for a year while our new house was being built. My brother was in college at this point, and my sister was graduating from Norman High. I was still in montessori school. I don't remember a whole lot from that house. I do remember my sister's friend Jackie Ross, now better known as Fat Jack on the Sports Animal, doing cannon balls in our tiny swimming pool.

After Merkle, we moved to Brookhaven and we lived on Cedar Hill Rd. This is where I spent a majority of my childhood. From first grade to freshman year in high school. It was a great house. Ask all my friends. The Sanger's was the hang out. We had a huge backyard with a big pool. A detatched two-car garage that I used as a skating rink. The house was two stories. Upstairs is where my brother would live when he was home from college, what a bachelor pad. I just can't complain about that house. It was really the only home home I ever associate with growing up. I still have dreams about it. You know when you dream about home, that's the house that I always see.

But the coolest part about living on Cedar Hill Rd was that it connected to Northridge Rd , where my best friend Kim lived. Seriously, her house was the same distance to the corner of our two streets as mine was coming from the other direction. And that corner, was our bus stop.

Kim and I used to play together all the time. Typical kids. Always getting into something, very rarely trouble. Riiight. If we did do anything that was the slightest bit questionable, it was no doubt instigated by Kimberly. Those of you who know us both might have a hard time believing this, but Kim used to boss me around. Whatever she said, I did. Not that I didn't want her to make all the decisions, I sure as heck didn't know what to do. I have always been a follower. Let's take a brief look at some of the awesome stuff we did.

Kim convinced me that the large bamboo type plant in the back of my house was actually "Indian gum", and made me chew it.

I was put on the back of a golf cart and when Kim hit the gas I was flown off the back, injuring my tailbone.

We both were in Girl Scouts led by her mother. We can still sing all the catchy tunes. I circle is round and has no end.....

We always had the best Halloween costumes, which was my favorite part of Halloween. Kim, like with most things, made it into a competition to see who could get the most candy. I don't think we stopped running the entire night.

We would call each other every Christmas morning to brag about our presents. I remember when she got a TV. I was pissed.

I remember watching Overboard for the first time at her house. I remember her obsession with Whitney Houston. I believe the children are our future too Kim.

I remember our long hair and big bangs. Scrunchies on the corner of our t-shirts. Matching Keds. Side pony-tails. NKOTB posters plastered on her wall. Dairies with locks. Slap bracelets. Warren Bunch. Pat Tanner. Lars Noble. Carrie and Lisa Arvine. Melissa. Cleveland Cubs. Beauregard. Swimsuits with holes in the middle, not quite two pieces. Kyle. Father daughter ski trips.

Oh the lists could go on. Man those were the days. Who would have thought it would last 18 years? There is plenty more to come, huh Kim?

I love you. Thanks for bossing me around. I don't know where I would be without you.





3 comments:

kelsey said...

I like reading your stories, Della!

keely said...

What's next, a story about your old roommate? The one who's huge 8*10 picture is still up in your house? Uh huh.

keely said...

What a bitter old crank I am.