Saturday, March 19, 2005

Seeking whom he may devour.

When I was a camp counselor a few years back, there was lots of discussion on "Satan's foothold". We would often pray against the foothold that Satan had on our campers and our counselors. This really annoyed me at the time. I was a little bit of a hyper-Calvinist and wanted to shove everyone's sinful nature in their face. I joke now, but it did and does bother me when we don't acknowledge as part of the problem. (much like it bothers me when court cases turn into "what made him do it" instead of "did he do it". I just recently watched E's True Hollywood Story about the Menendez Brothers) Anyway neither one of those points is what I intended to Blog on.

My question is for those more knowledgeable than I. What role does Satan play on a day to day basis. I have a friend that is consumed by the idea of evil and Satan's role. A recent conversation sent me back to those frustrated times at camp. Honestly I really don't care what Satan is doing, I don't think it is relevant. But it must be a little I guess. I figure I just have more important things to consider when things get rough or I'm struggling. First, I do think that my sinful nature has a lot to do with it, but I also think that ultimately Christ is more powerful than any Satan.

That just skirts the question for anyone that really wants an answer. I don't recall talking about this much growing up or now as an adult. I did look Sproul's thoughts up in Essential Truths of the Christian Faith. He had some interesting things to say.

"Satan is after all, a creature. He is finite and limited. He is limited to space and time. He cannot be in more than one place at one time. He is never to be regarded in any way as an equal with God. Satan is a higher order of being than human; he is a fallen angel. But he is not divine. He has more power than earthly creatures but infinitely less power than almighty God."

The thing that really sticks out to me is that he can't be in more than one place at a time. I never thought about that. Man he must have been really busy at camp. All joking aside, I really don't understand what role Satan plays in the world today. I guess I don't really understand any source of evil besides the evil in me that comes from the fall.

Please shed some light on this issue.

3 comments:

OneoftheServens said...

3. And though this world with devils filled,
Should threaten to undo us
We will not fear for God hath willed,
His truth to triumph through us
The Prince of Darkness grim,
We tremble not for him
His rage we can endure,
For lo his doom is sure
One little word shall fell him

4. That Word above all earthly pow'r,
No thanks to them abideth;
The Spirit and the gifts are ours
Through Him who with us sideth;
Let goods and kindred go,
This mortal life also;
The body they may kill;
God's truth abideth still,
His kingdom is forever!

Verses 3 and 4 from A Mighty Fortress is our God, Martin Luther

Della said...

That gives me encouragement and reinforces my feelings that I shouldn't fear because the Lord is far more powerful. Although, I don't know that those words would satisfy the curiousity that still surrounds Satan's role.

I don't know exactly what my next question would be. Who is the creator of temptation? Is it our own sinful nature, Satan, or something else?

Some of the other questions that come up could probably be found in Case for Faith, I should skim that again. These are really only things I wrestle with when approached with questions. Although that goes with just about anything these days; I don't wrestle with much on my own.

I pray for the desire to seek out, grow, and learn. I pray against laziness or false contentment.

Anonymous said...

Della,
I totally agree with you. Some people give Satan too many props. He does have his helpers (3rd of the angels God kicked out with him) But we have to own up to our fleshly mistakes when we take our eyes of God.
JAMES 4:7---Give yourselves humbly to God. Resist the devil and HE WILL FLEE FROM YOU.
That makes way more since than giving Satan more credit than he deserves.

Love your blogs, Della. You're an awesome child of God!
take care, joint heir with Jesus, Hope