Monday, January 31, 2005

House Church

I recently joined some of my new friends for church. It was different from the church I am used to, we didn't meet in a Catholic school for one thing. It was actually in a house, hence the name "House Church. The church is a group of about 20 people, mostly young married or college age. It was started or actually planted about 6-8 months ago. One of the couples had helped plant another church in McAllen, Texas and is now here heading up this plant. The wife, Leslie, and I talked for a while about where or why the idea of a house church came about. I got the impression that they don't intend for it to remain in the house but that ideally it would grow, much like how the church I go to started in a bar and now has moved on to the Catholic School. This house church in particular is similar to Journey Church, I believe it is actually affiliated with Fellowship Church, which I know little to nothing about. Anyway.... I enjoyed my time there. Everyone was great, good conversation, good food, children running around, and laughing.
As far as the set up went, it was much like a Bible study in my opinion. We focused on a verse, meditated on it, went around the table and talked about what stood out to us, focused on it some more, and of course prayed. Meditating on scripture is a great and very important, I wish that I did it more often. It was similar to CAPTOR. (is that right? Man I should really have the acronym right if I'm going to bring it up) So, while I found the my time there worth while, I think I went into the situation with lots of questions. My friend and I discussed it briefly.
One of my concerns was that the structure of the night was something that happened every week, with no other elements of the traditional church service that I am used to. Why is this important? I'm not sure that I know how to explain. Mainly because I am not knowledge in this area. All I know is there should be more to it. I'm not saying this out of judgment, right now I am just saying it out of feeling. I'm pretty sure if I did some research or reading on the subject, I could explain why there is or should be structure and traditions in a church service. I do barely remember Mike talking about why we structure our service the way we do, but the only specific thing that sticks out is that the Bible doesn't have a detailed description of what formal worship should consist of. So why do we do it? I want to know. How did we come to the traditions we have today?

One other thing that I wasn't sure about and need insight on.....
These three "elders" of the house church, how are they being held accountable? Who is keeping them in check so they don't start pushing views that may not line up with scripture?
Shouldn't there be some sort of authority over them that doesn't go as far as calling it a heirachy?

These are my questions. May I just reiterate that I really had a nice time, and I think these people's love for Christ is beautiful and genuine. I need to understand this for my own sake, so that I can understand my church and other churches.

So hit me!! What ya got?


4 comments:

Matthew said...

You ask some very good questions.

Justin Donathan said...

Della,
There is a book by Jeff Myers called The Lord's Service. It is one of the best books I have ever read, ever. It is all about the exact questions you were just asking. In fact it is one of the only significant treatments of why we do what we do liturgy-wise from a Presbyterian point of view you can find. Also, you will walk away from it with a new understanding of and appreciation for the old testament. Josh Spears has it and I imagine would loan it to you but it is totally worth buying.
justin

Justin Donathan said...

Della,
There is a book by Jeff Myers called The Lord's Service. It is one of the best books I have ever read, ever. It is all about the exact questions you were just asking. In fact it is one of the only significant treatments of why we do what we do liturgy-wise from a Presbyterian point of view you can find. Also, you will walk away from it with a new understanding of and appreciation for the old testament. Josh Spears has it and I imagine would loan it to you but it is totally worth buying.
justin

Anonymous said...

DS
I've been thinking about what to say about yoru post, perhaps hesitating bc I'm not sure whether or not to post about house churches or about this new church plant. Like you said, there's nothing wrong with a church plant that starts at a house. If that's the case, we must ask - where is the church going?, what denomination?, why a new church?, who's in charge here? - questions like that.

But if it's a house church, then you already have your answers in the main. These groups are growing and they're attractive. On the positive, most of the people are looking for a more authentic representation of Christianity. Very good.

But many/most I feel are removing the role of pastor and teacher, and have a low view of the church to begin with. In some sense, a house church can be a collection of individuals all trying to have a group/individual experience. Who is leading? How was that person chosen? What were his qualifications? How do we know we aren't deceiving ourselves to think he is able to teach? How would we know? What if things go wrong? What if we disagree on something? What if we grow?

The whole book of Acts is in play here, and one aspect is that there was a council that met, made a decision, and handed down that decision to the churches to be followed. That's connectionalism. When Paul met with pastors, he met with them in a region to talk with them, something sorely lacking in many, many churches today.

Many folks are reacting to the evangelical drivel that's out there, but they don't know where to look. They don't know that denominations are not in themselves bad things at all, but can be extremely helpful, EVEN Biblical. There are actual churches that seek to minister the gospel with integrity - some of the authenticity a house churcher claims to want might be personal preferences that are then lost in the authentic worship of a group of people led by elders.

My two cents,
DS